[LINK] digital black screen and absolute data lines

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat May 3 10:46:14 AEST 2008

This is hilarious:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/foxtel-interruptus-during-prime-time/2008/05/02/1209235120031.html
Foxtel interrupts prime time
Asher Moses
May 2, 2008 - 12:43PM

Foxtel customers around the country had their service interrupted for
up to 30 minutes during prime time last night because the company
chose an inopportune time to push through a software update.

The pay TV operator confirmed that it sent a software update to
subscribers' set-top boxes around 9:12pm last night, which users
reported interrupted viewing for between 15 minutes and half an hour.

Foxtel said the interruption last only five to eight minutes.
[snip]
-----
Then on Red Symond's ABC radio show Friday morning, he was
interviewing a doctor about remote surgery to Mildura. Twice during
the interview, the mobile dropped out. Made for real confidence if
you were the one under the knife!

During a bit of time the line stayed up, the Dr said the connection
wasn't mobile or 'internet' but a highspeed data line that wouldn't
go down that they got from Telstra. My thought as a way to be sure it
stayed up was to do every fifth surgery procedure using this magic
data line on Phil Burgess or Sol or the guy from Country-wide who
keeps telling us how good Next is. We'll see how comfortable the boys
are in their technology.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Sauron's mother probably thought he was a good kid. - anon, from OWW

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007