[LINK] Compulsory disclosure of privacy breaches

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun May 11 19:55:35 AEST 2008

Re American laws regarding 'net neutrality' Richard writes:

> Just because there exists simplistic American debate founded on turning
> a (now) meaningless rallying-cry into an almost inevitably risible piece
> of legislation doesn't mean we have to play "monkey see, monkey do".

You make some fair points re supposed net neutrality legislation here in
Australia, Richard. Basically as you say, we don't need it, and therefore
the issue has failed to gain traction in Australia. Fred, would you agree?

However, not all Yank laws net-laws are meaningless. For example, many US
States now make it mandatory for business etc to report the loss of client
data to hackers etc. Although business hates doing it, it's way better for
their customers to be aware that their details have been compromised than
be otherwise unaware that their risk of identity fraud, etc, has increased.

Australia's Privacy Commissioner, Karen Curtis, is on record as saying she
supports this kind of legislation, and compulsory disclosure seems to have
the broad support needed to become law. But, it isn't law here .. why not?

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley
Victoria Australia