[LINK] HD Satellite TV

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon May 19 22:43:20 AEST 2008

Does Australia have a HD satelite TV service?

--
The Hindu:  "Dish TV to roll out HD technology platform by year-end"

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200805191555.htm

New Delhi (PTI): With high definition technology catching the imagination
of premium quality video and audio lovers, direct-to-home service provider
Dish TV will launch high definition (HD) platform by the end of this year.

The company, which recently announced free set top boxes (STBs) for its
subscribers, has plans to introduce the latest Motion Picture Expert Group
4 (MPEG) technology enabled STBs along with the HD platform for
broadcasting. It is also holding talks with TV channels for production of
HD content.

"We will launch HD platform along with MPEG 4 coming Diwali for the
subscribers. We are also talking to a 2-3 TV channels and get into
commercial arrangements for High Definition content," Dish TV Managing
Director Jawahar Goel told PTI..

Existing DTH players Tata Sky and Bharti Telemedia, which are soon
expected to announce their entry into the domain, are also equipped to
provide HD platforms to its audiences.

"We have the HD technology ready with us, but there is no content in India
at the moment. We will bring the technology in the market whenever the
market is ready for it," Tata Sky Chief Marketing Officer Vikram Mehra
said.

Similarly, Bharti Telemedia Executive Director N Arjun said, "The
equipment which we are using is HD enabled, at the moment we will launch
the service in standard definition but going forward will bring in HD."

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server