[LINK] Bizarre lameness in Microsoft Excel 2002

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Nov 6 10:17:58 AEDT 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:30:04AM +1100, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 06/11/2008, at 7:13 AM, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > ps: is a spreadsheet really the most appropriate tool for working with
> > large amounts of tabular data like that?  wouldn't a database be
> > better?
>
> The data that I work with comes OUT of a database (and all of the
> heavy lifting is done there): it's what clients want as output for
> their own purposes that becomes the bother.

maybe the bother could be avoided or minimised by asking them what
report(s) they actually want, or if their spreadsheet work could be
improved by giving them a summary of the data, and writing scripts to
meet those needs.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

"Nothing defines humans better than their willingness to do
 irrational things in the pursuit of phenomenally unlikely payoffs.
 This is the principle behind lotteries, dating, and religion."
         [Scott Adams, "The Dilbert Principle"]