[LINK] and the web in the US election Re: Tanner eyes web 2.0 tools

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Thu Nov 6 10:22:28 AEDT 2008

On 05/11/2008, at 3:53 PM, Kim Davies wrote:

> Why would Google suggest anything unless you are entering the domain
> into a search engine rather than the address bar? It strikes me as
> curious to be typing domain names into Google at all.

I always thought that too, then I found that users would type an
address in the google search field for at least 2 reasons:
1. it gives them error correction - if they type the domain name
slightly wrong, google will probably say 'did you mean...' and point
them at the right place
2. protection - google will mark possibly hacked websites with "This
site may harm your computer." so they know not to go there.
I think Jo(e) Public is learning to use Google as a type in, because
of the above.
I think there are high odds they start doing it because they have made
google their homepage and accidently type in the input field in the
big clear white space (which, incidentally, takes focus
automatically), and find the result is better than trying it
themselves in the browser bar.

But *I* don't do it.

Lea
--