[LINK] Victoria to upgrade bbnet for schools

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Nov 6 12:02:38 AEDT 2008

http://www.theage.com.au/national/faster-broadband-to-boost-learning-20081105-5ijt.html

Faster broadband to boost learning

    * November 6, 2008

THE speed of the broadband piped into Victoria's
1600 government schools will be more than doubled
under a major information upgrade.

Broadband capacity will increase from four to 10
megabits per second, with the works to be funded
through the $89 million VicSmart program.

Premier John Brumby said the new technology would
make a fundamental difference to the way children
learn. "For our children right across the
government school system it means that they are
at the absolute forefront of the digital revolution," he said.

Telstra chief executive Sol Trujillo said the
upgrade, which will be completed by June, would
enhance opportunities for students. "In my time

it was all about the text, it was all about hard
copy, and now we live in a real-time multimedia world," he said.

Education Minister Bronwyn Pike expressed
confidence that the trouble-plagued $60 million
Ultranet software system, designed to allow
parents to check their child's progress online,
would be delivered by 2010 as promised.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing
the silver for guests. - JW, May, 2007