[LINK] security problems are not always Microsoft's fault

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Nov 6 15:11:33 AEDT 2008

At 7:05 PM -0800 5/11/08, David Goldstein wrote:
>Why am I not surprised amongst all the Microsoft bashing, some
>justified, some not, on Link that a report that shows security
>issues are not always Microsoft's fault gets no mentions?

Maybe we were all politely waiting for you to post it?  (:-)}

Seriously, we must be clear about this.

Microsoft has cleaned up its act as regards the parameter-settings on
its products, and the processes of discovering problems and reacting
to them.  It appears that their back-end QA may have improved too,
and maybe even some of their architecture (although ActiveX is still
what it always was).

Unfortunately, they continue to write dreadful monolithic code, do
far too much coding and far too little design, have inadequate
early-phase QA, and used spyware.

But not only are they not alone in at least some of those respects,
they're actually mainstream.  Software development quality has
plummeted as scale and ambition have increased, as coding has become
a commodity, and as QAD 'methods' have come to dominate.

But I've been teaching this seminar on 'Internet and Web
Infrastructure for eCommerce' up here in HK for 7 years, and many of
the cheap shots I used to take now have to be phrased far more
carefully.  I welcome that.