[LINK] DVD pirating costing industry $1.7b: Debus

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Nov 8 20:19:34 AEDT 2008

At 08:06 PM 8/11/2008, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > 750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

Then you guys are going to love this:

http://www.change.gov/agenda/technology/

good:
Safeguard our Right to Privacy: The open information platforms of the
21st century can also tempt institutions to violate the privacy of
citizens. As president, Barack Obama will strengthen privacy
protections for the digital age and will harness the power of
technology to hold government and business accountable for violations
of personal privacy.

questionable depending on implementation:
Protect American Intellectual Property Abroad: The Motion Picture
Association of America estimates that in 2005, more than nine of
every 10 DVDs sold in China were illegal copies. The U.S. Trade
Representative said 80 percent of all counterfeit products seized at
U.S. borders still come from China. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will
work to ensure intellectual property is protected in foreign markets,
and promote greater cooperation on international standards that allow
our technologies to compete everywhere.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007