[LINK] XML is evil

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Tue Nov 18 15:28:51 AEDT 2008

This thread finished about a week ago, but may I still observe that XML is not intended to be used for presentation directly to an end-user.  While there are a number of XML editors around which make it easier to interpret & manipulate raw XML, it should be regarded primarily as a transfer syntax for interpretation & presentation by an appropriate application.

It's possible to read raw ASN.1 encoded data too, but only when absolutely necessary for low-level debugging.

The same goes for CSV.  While it might be easier to read a simple CSV file directly compared with XML or ASN.1, I'll bet Richard, Rachel, and Rick all used an application such as OO or MS WORD (:-)!

On Friday 07 November 2008 21:20, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> It is truly awful. I eschew its use whenever possible.
> OTOH, CSV has saved my neck many many many times.
> A very useful tool that is always there by my side.

David