[LINK] XML is evil

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Nov 18 17:31:26 AEDT 2008

Re: Spotlight, vile or otherwise...

>> Example: one used to be able to turn of the vile resource hog on OS
>> X called
>> Spotlight by adding this line to a file in /etc/hostconfig
>>
>> SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
>>
>> Then without notification or any fanfare, they removed this ability
>> and
>> replaced it with a plist file. You must create a new XML file
>> containing
>> all sorts of crud in it, run a system utility to load that file and
>> cross
>> your fingers that it worked. If it doesn't, dive into the GUI tools
>> and
>> try to fix it. It's a real crock of snakes now.

 From Terminal:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

(First line stops it, second line tells the system to disable it
permanently). Of course, this disables all options of searching in the
GUI, including Mail, and breaks Time Machine.

To re-enable Spotlight when you find that you need it again:
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Not so sure what elicits the 'crock of snakes' comment, but I suppose
typing two lines in Terminal might vex some users.

Cheers

iT