[LINK] Interplanetary Internet

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Thu Nov 20 09:56:24 AEDT 2008

Linkers,

You may have seen the news story on how "NASA Successfully Tests First
Deep Space Internet."

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2008/nov/HQ_08-298_Deep_space_internet.html

If, like me, you've not looked at this stuff much before, then you may
also find it extremely fascinating once you start delving.

As usual, the SMH story is just a straight reprint of a news wire story,
with no other useful links provided.  So I thought I'd share some I have
come across.

The system uses Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN), of which the
following tutorial from the InterPlanetary Internet site gives a detailed
explanation:

http://www.ipnsig.org/reports/DTN_Tutorial11.pdf

which is at the Interplanetary Internet project
http://www.ipnsig.org/

Also check out:

Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN) for a Low Earth Orbit (LEO)
Space Network
http://esto.nasa.gov/conferences/estc2008/presentations/IvancicA4P2.pdf

The technology, while being developed for use across space and time, is
also not short of applications terrestrially.  The efforts towards
interplanetary internet spawned a new group to focus on the use of DTN
terrestrially, particularly around sensor networks.

Delay Tolerant Networking Research Group
http://www.dtnrg.org/wiki

When TCP Breaks: Delay- and Disruption-Tolerant Networking
- an overview of current work on delay- and disruption-tolerant networking
http://dsonline.computer.org/portal/site/dsonline/menuitem.6dd2a408dbe4a94be487e0606bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=dso_level1_article&TheCat=1001&path=dsonline/2006/08&file=w4spot.xml&;jsessionid=JkRJ2kQnM5YcnRGGqfkcJ822Qh9MsyrMsgTT8dZQ2Kzf5KTNRGtW!1469953196
  or
http://tinyurl.com/57h2vd

Fascinating stuff

Sylvano