[LINK] Gershon recommendations adopted

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Nov 25 09:57:14 AEDT 2008

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>

>> Gershon recommendations adopted
>> Karen Dearne
>> November 24, 2008
>> The Australian IT
>> http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24698279-15306,00.html
>>
>> THE promised axe will fall on IT and communications spending by federal
>> agencies with the Rudd Government today pledging to implement all of
>> Peter Gershon's recommendations including slashing contract staff by 50
>> per cent over the next three years.
>>

> Am I correct in assuming that this means there will be an increase
> in permanent ICT staff, i.e. the cycle completes and we learn from
> our mistakes?

But all the people with "corporate" knowledge have been sold off to
outsourcers and are no longer available to teach new permanent ICT staff
about the systems still in operation. Not only that, butthe people who
do know about the systems, either outsourcer employees or contractors
may not be willing to become permanent. That's two cycles of disruption
and knowledge loss.

The cycle has been broken and can't be fixed. The lessons that should be
learned cannot be learned. More mistakes will be made but the people
responsible have moved on.

--

Regards
brd