[LINK] Gershon recommendations adopted

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Nov 25 13:57:44 AEDT 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:04:40AM +1100, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> Rick Welykochy wrote:
> > I have always been a champion for keeping skills, knowledge and
> > corporate memory in house. Any other approach seems doomed to
> > failure, imnsho.
> >  [...rick's anecdote...]
> [...bernard's anecdote...]

the *ONLY* times i've ever worked anywhere that didn't have a similar
story, or worse, has been at small companies who can't afford to have
any dead-wood around....in fact, whose competitive advantage was that
they're small, fast, agile, and extremely competent.

everywhere else suffers from bean-counters and bureaucrats who think
only in the short term (at best, when they think at all) and insist on
acting as if in-house knowledge and skill aren't valuable (because that
would undermine the "all employees are slot-in replacable components"
mentality).

e.g. short term thinking like outsourcing the IT dept because it'll look
good on the next quarterly report regardless of what it will do the
business over the next 5 or 10 years.

> Its like watching children at play, and would be funny it it weren't
> so serious.

it's worse than that.  it's neo-liberal ideology at work.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>