[LINK] Telstra's at it again

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 21:56:10 AEDT 2008

I haven't seen the tender document, but all government procurement
documents I've seen are careful to reserve their right to buy from
none of the responders, or from a supplier who did not respond. While
it is true that issuing the request as a tender would give Terria et
al. some legs to cry foul if Telstra ended up supplying services
largely within the specs of the bid document, I expect you would see
some legal challenges, but it is far from a case of the Telstra
non-compliant response being automatically out of consideration.
Conversely, Telstra has lost some ground to challenge the decision if
it does go to Terria or one of the others, they have chosen to
effectively not participate.
Some of the lawyers on the list might want to weigh in, but the govt
could, for example, choose a bid substantially more expensive than
Telstra's non-compliant response, and Telstra would have little
recourse to say such a choice was unfair.
My guess, is that Telstra is ultimately seeking to derail the current
NBN process and will pressure for a revised, more modestly scoped
tender to replace it.
If the Terria guys lack a realistic funding model, they might get it too.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs