[LINK] Some Data On Performing Rights

Avi Miller avi.miller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:07:08 AEDT 2008

On 27/11/2008, at 7:44 AM, Chris Gilbey wrote:

> There are anomalies along the way, such as “Music On Hold”. Music
> that is
> played over the phone while you are waiting is strangely enough
> considered
> to be a public performance and so has to be paid for.

Yes, this is why my response to staff who ask, "Why do we have such
crappy hold music? Can't we just play the radio?" is: "If you want to
pay the APRA license fee, I'm happy to play whatever you want."

It's particularly interesting when you're using an Open Source IP-PBX
that can use streaming Internet music as hold music.

cYa,
Avi