[LINK] Freeview Launches In Australia

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Nov 28 16:18:52 AEDT 2008

Anthony Hornby wrote:
>> Netflix streaming video -- $99 for a hardware player, HD content like
>> you'd find on a DVD (assuming you have enough bandwidth to stream at
>> that quality). Subscription $9 a month, if you're not already a customer
>> (which many people in the US are).
>
> Pity its a US only service :-(
> "A Netflix ready device can only be used within the 50 US States and
> the District of Columbia. Movies & TV episodes cannot be watched
> instantly in any other location."
>
> Does anyone know of any similar services available for Australian
> users that offer good content at a reasonable price?

Yeah, then again I live in the US (where I am paying $0 a gig for
traffic). The service is quite new to Netflix as well. I imagine that
companies in Australia will start copying it like they did the original
DVD rental model Netflix offered.

One of the good things here is that one company having contracts like
this and being successful will make it easier for the next guy. I'm
hoping that the studios will figure out that these sorts of services are
a good way to make money, and therefore encourage them rather than
killing them.

Mikal