[LINK] And then you discover the FOSS developers are hostile as well...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 29 10:15:19 AEDT 2008

Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 09:21:08PM +1100, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> [...]
>
>> And for the first time since last year, it comes time to make labels for
>> the Christmas jars (jams and preserves, about 120 jars to label).
>>

> OpenOffice.org is a useful option, but it's just as big and bloated as
> MS Office.
>
> Last time I made jam, I used glabels , which you'll find packaged in
> your distribution. (or the homepage is http://glabels.sourceforge.net/ )
> It can mail-merge from CSV files, vCards, etc.

Well, that worked! Thanks, Nick.

David: The OO version is 2.3.0. You can use a spreadsheet as a data
source for a database, but you have to save it out as an OO DB before
trying to make the labels as an OO text document - painful, slow,
user-hostile. Two hours failing in OO, ten minutes to do it in glabels...

Yes, OO is bloated. I think I'm going to start ditching it.

RC