[LINK] The cloud vaporises: Will you lose your online files?

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Sat Nov 29 15:18:52 AEDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> Not only pictures. What about your spreadsheets, text documents,
> presentations, account files? Do you back them up yourself once they
> are in the cloud? Is backup easy to do en-masse for all your cloudy
> files?
>
> The more I think about "the cloud" the more I see through the marketing
> hype to just Yet Another Big Thing That Will Die A Horrible Death
> (YABTTWDIHD!)

We all need to own our own clouds.     Then when someone hacks
in you can say "hey, you, get off of my cloud!".

I am serious about owning your own cloud.

Then your desktop, portable
and mini communication devices will all be held on your own server,
colocated at a selected site, via a package deal that includes
ownership of the infrastructure, support and connectivity for about
$2000 a year.

So I have a sort of business model, but no venture capital.  Who will
help me start "mycloud.com" already?!  ;)    If someone already owns it,
we can spend big and buy 'em out.

I have done some thought on this.  Probably other people have too.
People with more money than me, but I think we may well see this
coming in the near future and "personal servers" hosting private
and public clouds with full convergence on your very own server
hosted in some shipping container somewhere.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html