[LINK] MS Windows and CD formats

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Oct 1 20:47:12 AEST 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 09:20, andrew clarke wrote:
> This entire thread seems to have teleported into bizarro world
> somewhat.
>
> The filesystem formats used by recordable data CDs and data DVDs are
> designed to be compatible between all the modern operating systems
> (and standalone players).
>
> There would be no sense in Microsoft creating a new general purpose
> CD/DVD filesystem and have Vista use it by default.  There really is
> no need for a new format, [...]

   The Microsoft article on CD formats in Windows "Vista" at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2af64e60-60aa-4d79-ab6c-3a5db5806cbe1033.mspx which I quoted at the start of this thread makes this statement about "Live File System" (the default format for Vista):

"Discs formatted with the Live File System option: [...] Are only compatible with Windows XP and later versions of Windows."

> Any incompatibilites with reading discs that you encounter are most
> likely due to software bugs or incorrect settings during the burning
> process, or hardware (firmware) bugs.  [...]

   Thank you for the theory, but the facts speak for themselves.

David