[LINK] Data centre strategy may overload electricity grid

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Oct 8 14:04:12 AEDT 2008

Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 10:22 PM 1/10/2008, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>> <brd>This "consolidated approach to data centre management" was what started
>> the whole of government IT outsourcing push that ended in tears ...
>>

> Hopefully we have learnt how to do things better since then. But
> perhaps all of those who learnt have left the public service? ;-)

I suspect you are correct about those who have learnt have left the
public service. I have my copy of Clients First (c 1996) at the ready to
compare with the Gershon report, or whatever the government decides to
release of it.

The government has already saved money as the result of the review, even
before it got the outcome - it put a hold on all contracts longer than
12 months. This is unlikely to be relaxed until next year. Meanwhile,
agencies cannot proceed with urgent projects (eg replacement for the IT
outsourcing currently with Commander who went into liquidation),
contractors are leaving town and vendors are getting fed up.

Its a repeat of déjà vu all over again.

--

Regards
brd