[LINK] Reqiuem Pace Second Life

Jenny Millea jmillea at educationau.edu.au
Fri Oct 10 11:40:16 AEDT 2008

According to Gartner's Hype Cycle we're currently in the trough of disillusionment for virtual worlds.

Though maybe it depends on age group? Reports suggest that kids are the growing group of users of virtual worlds.

See http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/biztech/boom-in-virtual-playgrounds-for-kids/2008/10/09/1223145499071.html

"In Australia, the most successful projects include the Finnish teenage virtual world Habbo and Canada's Club Penguin, for five-to-12-year-olds, which was bought out last year by Disney for $US700 million .

Habbo, which started an Australian arm nearly four years ago, attracts about a quarter of the 800,000 Australians aged 13 to 17 every month. They spend an average of one hour per session in Habbo - more than double that of MySpace in Australia."

Jen

Jenny Millea
Program Manager, Higher Education
Education.au