[LINK] Aussie TV network guilty of subliminal ads

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Oct 13 09:35:29 AEDT 2008

At 06:15 AM 13/10/2008, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> >> ACMA reviewed the broadcast and found that "rapid-cut graphics used in
> >> the program was a technique that attempted to convey information to
> >> viewers below or near the threshold of normal awareness."

The 5.30 sports news last night was showing Bathurst and there were
these weird half-second shots in between cuts. I immediately thought
they were doing the same thing again! But at the end of the story,
the announcer apologised for the bad video. They must have had
interns on the edit desk or some new equipment that caused bad cuts.
Sometimes I've noticed on live sports events that during the show,
they cut quickly and not always cleanly between the ads and some
important action in the live event, say a crash on the track.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007