[LINK] Aussie TV network guilty of subliminal ads

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed Oct 15 10:37:35 AEDT 2008

On 15/10/2008, at 11:24 AM, David Lochrin wrote:
>> Why is "surreptitiousness", in and of itself, a problem?
>
>   Because it's intended to make the subject(s) perform actions they
> may not otherwise do with a minimum of conscious prior evaluation
> and contingent responsibility.

You mean like say, putting the lollies next to the checkout at
supermarkets to generate impulse buys?

Why is "conscious" evaluation so special? It's just a pretty skin on
top of a very complex mechanism of mind.

>    Would you like some more direct examples?

I'm genuinely curious as to why this *specific* kind of "making the
subject(s) perform actions they may not otherwise do" is different
from any other kind, apart from the Twilight Zonesque scare-name
"subliminal". A thousand different persuasion techniques are in use,
why is this on so bad? (Particularly as there's no evidence that it IS
any different...)

Give me reasons, and I will rail against it like the best Luddite in
the house! Not that there's any of those on Link, no Sir! ;)

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia