[LINK] Aussie TV network guilty of subliminal ads

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 16 07:14:25 AEDT 2008

Ash Nallawalla wrote:
>> From: Stilgherrian
>>

>> On 15/10/2008, at 9:55 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
>>
>>> But the practice is objectionable on the grounds of
>>> surreptitiousness, whether or not it actually does any psychological
>>> harm.
>>>
>> Why is "surreptitiousness", in and of itself, a problem?
>>

> Someone has decided that a 2 frame exposure is surreptitious, whereas 3
> frames isn't. Surreptitiousness is too broad a word because it is not
> confined to a hidden agenda.
>
> Richard may have a technical comment on whether the fps rate makes any
> difference -- the Wikipedia cited reference to J. Michael Straczynski sounds
> American - " RE: the FCC...what we did in the commercial was totally legit.
> We researched and found that the FCC considers a subliminal to be 2 frames
> per second (out of the standard 24). So we made the blip 4 frames total."

Let's see. PAL is transmitted as interlaced half-frames - 50 half frames
per second, 25 full frames per second. So two full frames is 2/25 of a
second. Two NTSC frames is 2/30 of a second. Not really much difference
there.
> In our PAL TV 25 fps world, is two frames just as bad as in the US? In the
> movies, two frames are shown twice, so does that make it four frames?

As the writer you refer to below notes, the movies work differently ...
or, that is, a film-based movie projector works differently. It exposes
an entire image (frame) in one hit, rather than line-by-line. And the
frame is only shown once - so at 24 fps, a two-frame "blip" would be
1/12 of a second.
> Is this writer correct: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/fps.html
More or less!

RC