[LINK] 'Net filters "required" for all Australians, no opt-out

Anthony Hornby anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:59:51 AEDT 2008

It won't work and I worry it will make a certain percentage of parents
think they an abrogate their responsibilities as parents to monitor
their internet use and take the time to educate them to be able to
make informed choices.

No manual list is going to be able to keep up with some of the
techniques used to move nasty sites around, and automated ones will
definitely block out plenty of legitimate stuff as well.

How will they stop criminals using tools like tor etc to just bypass
everything anyway (not to suggest the only uses of tor are criminal -
as with all tools there are plenty of legitimate reasons to use tools
like that). Are they going to start arresting everyone that finds some
encrypted work-around?

I personally see it as a likely large spend with large impact and
relatively small returns. I'm sure they could invest the money in
other more important issues if they weren't just playing to the
populist vote.

How about the same money injected into services to try and educate
kids and parents on prevention, investigate cases of child abuse and
support and counsel the victims. My understanding is that in pretty
much every state and territory these services are woefully underfunded
and the staff overloaded. Wouldn't that do more real good?

Anthony