[LINK] Show me the money

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue Oct 21 09:43:57 AEDT 2008

On 21/10/2008, at 9:31 AM, Darrell Burkey wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:31, Stilgherrian wrote:
>
>> I'll take this opportunity to pimp http://openaustralia.org, an
>> Australian website
>
> Any idea why it doesn't use an Australian domain name?

To register in the org.au name space you MUST be incorporated as a non-
profit organisation, i.e. as a non-profit association or a non-profit
limited company... I won't give the names of the relevant Acts because
with my luck today I'd discover that corporations law has been changed
since my memories were laid down some time in the late Pleistocene.

For geeks wanting to get an idea online quickly, the technical aspects
are "easy" but incorporating a new legal entity is both time-consuming
an (relatively) costly.

My understanding is that they are now working towards the non-profit
registration, and I daresay they'll flip into the .au namespace when
that's done. meanwhile a .org can be had first-come first-served with
no annoying questions.

I must admit, I do find it quaint tha "a group of people collaborating
on something" is being made more and more difficult over time... what
with incorporation and third-party liability insurance and... and...

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia