[LINK] We live in interesting times.... Or - is the gold standard really extinct.

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 22 13:28:04 AEDT 2008

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
[snip]

> What has puzzles me about the Global Warming is the downside for Cold
> places...would people in Cold climates really be worse off in a
> Mediterranean or Tropical climate? I know which one I would prefer.
> Though I
> don't fancy the extreme amounts of sunlight across the year.
...various downsides occur to me right off the top of my head, without
particular research. Extreme weather events, habitat loss, species loss,
radical change to farm productivity, and sea level rises; all of these
would affect places that are now temperate-to-cold.

Even from the anthropocentric view, "milder winters" as an upside
doesn't begin to outweigh the downsides.

RC