[LINK] "Identity Theft" [was: Copyright Infringement as Stealing: Pfft!]

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Oct 28 16:14:03 AEDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 02:19:35PM +1100, Stephen Wilson wrote:
> On the face of it, the significant level of adverse reaction amongst
> poets to -- shall we say as blandly as possible -- the misuse of
> their names and associated works, indicates a strong sense of
> proprietorship.
>
> To those who deny or decry the existence of intellectual
> property: How do you interpret these responses?

that depends on the circumstances.

certainly not by assuming that every reaction, adverse or otherwise, is
evidence that something is property.

in other words, property is far from the only thing that causes
reactions in people.

> And what if any remedy would you suggest when the relationship between
> an artist and their works is misrepresented or bastardised?

again, that depends on the exact circumstances. circumstances including,
but not limited to, the nature of the relationship, the nature of the
misrepresentation, the reasonableness of the artist's aggrieved feelings,
etc.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>