[LINK] Target.com $6M damages for web accessibility

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Oct 30 13:24:01 AEDT 2008

At 09:07 AM 30/10/2008, I wrote:
>US retailer, Target Corporation has agreed to make its web site ...
>fully accessible to blind customers by February 2009 ... More at:
><http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/10/targetcom-to-be-accessible-and-6m.html>

The link to the TAW Web Accessibility Test tool in my blog posting
was incorrect. The correct link is (I hope): <http://www.tawdis.net/>.

Instead of being able to test a web page, the link gave an error 404
in Spanish. The TAW tool is from the Center for the Development of
Information and Communication Technologies in Asturias, Spain:
<http://www.fundacionctic.org/web/contenidos/en/index.html>.

The online TAW tool is very useful for a quick accessibility check of
a web page. CTIC also provide a free standalone version which can be
used to check a web site before it is made public and also to test
multiple pages online (I used it to check all the federal government
homes pages). There is also a version as a Firefox extension, but I
haven't tried it.

By the way, the W3C has produced a document showing the similarities
between their accessibility and mobile web guidelines
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences>. It would be better if
they had one set of guidelines for both accessible and mobile pages,
but every little bit helps.

ps: Thanks to Martin Barry for pointing out the problem URL.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University