[LINK] Filter to cause World Wide Wait

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 30 16:23:32 AEDT 2008

<evil grin>
Wasn't I just being told something about encryption and the Internet and
security of votes and ... (just joking)
</evil grin>

OK ... speaking now from the journalist point of view, there are two
problems.
- Vendors routinely make claims like this, sometimes honestly (ie,
within the business network), at other time dishonestly (we know it's
true but the journalist won't), and at other times ignorantly (do you
expect the Vice President Corporate Communications to have all the fine
details of the technology? Last week he was working at a wireless access
point vendor...)

- Unless the journalist is paying very close attention, there's no real
"red flag" to suggest that detail needed checking (ie, "exactly how can
the filters read secure traffic?")

- And then where do you go to check it? The vendor which is already on
the record claiming that the filter breaks HTTPS traffic?

In too many places and cases, a journalist has *not a hope* of piercing
the veil of spin, because it's so hard to work out who you can ask and
get a solid, reliable answer ...

RC