[LINK] Pointless email disclaimers

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Sep 4 07:33:49 AEST 2008

There was a discussion the other day about email disclaimers, which I
blogged about at http://stilgherrian.com/internet/stupid-email-disclaimers-dont-use-them/
  ... a lawyer [American] has added this comment at http://stilgherrian.com/internet/stupid-email-disclaimers-dont-use-them/#comment-13927

     You're absolutely right that email disclaimers do not reduce
anybody's
     duty of care, which is based upon things wholly outside of self-
serving
     communications.

     There are legitimate reasons for email disclaimers, although
easily 95%
     of the disclaimers that people use do not fall within the
legitimate
     reasons. They can be used to signal that a claim of privilege is
not
     available, as in:

     "I am not your freakin' lawyer so don't even think that this auto-
reply
     to your website inquiry constitutes legal advice."

     They can also be used in cases where a contract requires parties to
     exchange confidential communications, where the communications have
     to be marked 'confidential' in order for a claim of trade secrecy
or
     proprietary rights to apply.  (In other words, if you send us your
     stuff and you don't mark it properly, we can apply for a patent
on it.)

     I have a blog post on this.
     (http://arborlaw.biz/blog/2007/07/19/legal-issues-in-email-disclaimers/
)
     My Fortune 500 clients always ask me about these things; they're
always
     using them.

     I'm thinking about opening an annual award for the longest and most
     ridiculous email disclaimers.

     Carol Shepherd, Attorney
     Arborlaw PLC

Hear hear.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia