[LINK] Dramatic rise in botnet-controlled PCs

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Sep 5 14:07:36 AEST 2008

grove at zeta.org.au wrote:

> Windows 95 and IE was the step too far...   Once MS balkanised the web
> by producing MS specific websits "best view in IE" that is when the rot
> was set.

I actually regretted the day that TCP/IP support began appearing
in Winders. Before that, the net was relatively safe. Heh ... in
the early days an exposed Windows box would attempt to scan the
entire Internet for SMB services (!)

Once Winders entered the info superhighway, a snowball effect occurred.
Suddenly it was easy to break into hosts and hijack them. Very
quickly compromised Windows boxes were used as staging posts to
hide the track of hackers. The rest we now know is history.

Back to the web ...

I see no reason, beyond hollow marketing drone driven desires, for
the web to be anything more than simple images and text. We certainly
have the speed and CPU power now for all interactive activities to
be managed and driven by servers.

cheers
rickw