[LINK] Link archive with ads on it

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Sep 24 18:17:34 AEST 2008

(c) 2008 Kim Holburn licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-
Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

It's an interesting question.

If I make a post and attribute it with a non-commercial cc license,
are they then breaking the law if they put my post on their server?
If they do have a lot of ads can you say that the purpose of the
website is commercial profit?  Or are the ads just there in an attempt
to pay the costs of the site.  Even if the ads are only to defray
costs they are still using our posts to make money.  I must say though
that the ads are at least only google text ads and not even graphic
ads let alone animations.  I can't tell if they have pop-ups but they
didn't seem to.

BTW if I don't have a copyright notice on my post or license on my
post I still do own the copyright to my posts but since link posts are
posts to a public mailing list with a public archive what does that
really mean?  Do they really have the right to copy the whole archive?