[LINK] Study shows pop-up warnings are ineffective

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Sep 30 05:33:35 AEST 2008

At 22:27 +1000 29/9/08, Malcolm Miles wrote:
>And if you are not an administrator on the PC, then you can't just
>click through a UAC prompt. You either have to cancel out of it, in
>which case the nasty doesn't get to do its stuff ...

The other day I was confronted with one of those for the very first
time.  (I'm remarkably successful in staying away from Wintels).

My mouse hovered over the Cancel button, but I saw that there was a
Close-Window click-box in the top corner and clicked that instead.

If a pop-up window says something like 'Download wonderful new
anti-virus solution now?' and offers buttons saying 'Download' and
'Cancel', can a user be sure that the 'Cancel' button doesn't have
the download functionality hidden behind it?

I guess I should try looking at the Javascript (or whatever it's
called in that context).  But it would seem to be difficult for a
language designer to enforce consistency between the semantics of a
button-name on the one hand and the function performed by a routine
on the other.

Looking at an ancient HTML 4 handbook, the code would look something like:

<input
    type="button"
    NAME="Cancel"
    VALUE="CANCEL"
    ONCLICK="<download>">

But this is link;  and there are people out there who aren't amateurs
like me.  Can someone confirm or deny the reliability of 'Cancel'
buttons?

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong