[LINK] Skype on your iPhone!

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Apr 2 07:59:32 AEDT 2009

On 01/04/2009, at 1:19 PM, David Lochrin wrote:
> /QUOTE
> In an interview with Kurt Sauer, Chief Security Officer Skype, he
> said, "We provide a safe communication option.  I will not tell you
> whether we listen or not."[60]  Skype's client uses an undocumented
> and proprietary protocol.  The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is
> concerned by user privacy issues arising from using proprietary
> software and protocols and has made replacement for Skype one of
> their high priority projects.[61]  Security researchers Biondi and
> Desclaux have speculated that Skype may have a backdoor since Skype
> sends traffic even when it is turned off and because Skype has taken
> extreme measures to obfuscate their traffic and functioning of their
> program.[62]  Several media sources have reported that at a meeting
> about the "Lawful interception of IP based services" held on 25 June
> 2008, officials[who?] at the Austrian interior ministry said "it is
> not a problem for them to listen in on Skype conversations".
> Austrian broadcaster ORF citing minutes from the meet!
> ing have reported that "the Austrian police are able to listen in on
> Skype connections".[63][64]  Skype declined to comment on the
> reports.[65]
> /UNQUOTE

Skype IS a peer-to-peer protocol: Your computer, if not otherwise
prevented by firewalls etc, becomes a node for the relaying of others'
traffic. Presumably it does this even if you are not sending or
receiving calls?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia