[LINK] more about open info access ...

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Apr 3 08:25:56 AEDT 2009

Anthony writes,

> Houghton's JISC report from January this year is also interesting.
> 'Economic implications of alternative scholarly publishing models:
> Exploring the costs & benefits' http://ie-repository.jisc.ac.uk/278

God speed your noble quests gentlemen, and a pox on the houses of the
book-burners :-) These items regarding open access may be of interest.

--

"AuseSearch"   Creator: Arthur Sale   Last updated: Mar 25, 2009

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=012189697858739272261:yyyqychcumo

Search engine details: Searches all open access research repositories in
Australia, listed in Kennan & Kingsley (First Monday Feb 2009), in other
words ... all full-text research articles and (if available) theses from
repositories that responded to their survey..

Searches 48 sites, including: espace.library.curtin.edu.au,
adt.caul.edu.au/*, arada.cdu.edu.au/*, epress.lib.uts.edu.au/dspace/*,
ro.uow.edu.au/asdpapers/44/*  Keywords: refereed, journal, conference,
thesis, abstract, references

--

The UKSG  http://www.uksg.org/about  "The UK Serials Group (UKSG) exists
to encourage the exchange of ideas on printed and electronic serials and

With a membership of 500 organisations, a third of them based outside the
UK, the UKSG engages a broad cross-section of people concerned with the
publication, distribution and use of serials."

"Twenty publishers endorse UKSG's TRANSFER Code of Practice"

  http://www.uksg.org/news/transfermar09

Twenty publishers have now endorsed the 'TRANSFER' code of practice,
which has been developed by a UKSG working group to try and reduce the
frustrations and compexities of journals transferring between publishers.

--

> One small snippet from the conclusions:
> It seems likely that more open access would have substantial net
> benefits in the longer term and, while net benefits may be lower
> during a transitional period they are likely to be positive for both
> open access publishing and self-archiving alternatives (i.e. Gold OA)
> Green OA). This suggests that there are gains to be realised from
> moving towards open access publishing models and, despite the lag
> between the costs and the realisation of benefits, the transition may
> be affordable within existing system-wide budgetary allocations.
> </snip>
>
> Anthony
>
> 2009/4/1 Anthony Hornby <anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com>:
>
> > Thanks Evan,
> >
> > another useful thing to read tonight :-)
> >
> > Appreciated !
> >
> > Regards Anthony
> >
> > 2009/4/1 ARTHUR,Evan (Dr) <Evan.ARTHUR at deewr.gov.au>:
> >>
> >> A good general discussion of the issue of scholarly publishing/open
> >> access as it affects Australia is:  Houghton, J.W. with Steele, C.
> >> and Sheehan, P. (2008) 'Scholarly Communication Costs in Australian
> >> Higher Education, ' Higher Education Management and Policy 20(3),
> >> pp27-44. Available from the  OECD/IHME. There is also John's earlier
> >> report which he did for us when  we were DEST at (impossible URL
> >> follows):
> >> http://www.dest.gov.au/NR/rdonly> res/0ACB271F-EA7D-4FAF-B3F7-
> >> 0381F441B175/13935/DEST_Research_Communications>
> >> _Cost_Report_Sept2006.pdf
> >>

> >> Evan Arthur
> >> Group Manager
> >> Digital Education Group
> >> Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
> >> *: GPO Box 9880 Canberra ACT 2601
> >> ' 02 6240 5187 ': 0412 329 169
> >> * evan.arthur at deewr.gov.au

Cheers,