[LINK] NBN is FTTH

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Apr 7 21:04:10 AEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 at 17:43:07 +1000 Frank O'Connor wrote:
> Any way you look at it, ADSL over copper has serious distance from
> exchange issues.
In the NBN environment, wouldn't that be distance from the nearest fibre?
>  ... FTTH looks like your best option, and with the new NBN
> that looks like happening.
According to one linesman I spoke to, Telstra made a habit of laying
fibre whenever they needed to replace or install copper. In 2003, they
apparently lay fibre to within 200 metres of my door. It's still dark. I
wonder how much of Australia is in a similar position. Only Telstra
would know the extent of that dark network.
2 Mb/s: <http://www.bluemaxx.com.au/satellite/commercial.html>

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
                                |  scientist states that something is
                                |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is