[LINK] NBN is FTTH

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Wed Apr 8 18:32:23 AEST 2009

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 12:08 PM 8/04/2009, David Boxall wrote:
>
>> We have the technology, or so it seems. The question is whether we're
>> prepared to pay for it.
>>

> Does anyone know what the CPE cost will be/is now for fibre connectivity?

I expect that the ONT that terminates the fibre will be supplied and
installed by the network operator as part of the install fee, much as an
HFC cable termination is now. This could be mounted outside the house on
a wall, perhaps under the eaves. This should have the end-user ports
available on it cabled to appropriate places inside the building -
analog PSTN jack, one or more 100BaseT ports, possibly some sort of
video port ala a foxtel STB (and should include a backup battery to keep
the telephone running during a power failure).

The customer might need a telephone handset, a switch/router (with an
ethernet WAN port), and a cable to the telly, just like a HFC
installation today.

Just speculation though - anybody in one of the existing FTTP
communities with actual experience?

Paul.