[LINK] orphan books and google

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Apr 12 12:00:57 AEST 2009

Death Metal writes to tell us that a growing tide
of complaints are being piled at Google's feet in
response to a far-reaching settlement that some
feel will grant the giant too much power over the
"orphan books" they have been scanning into
digital format. The settlement could give Google
near-exclusivity with respect to the copyright of
orphan works ­ books that the author and
publisher have essentially abandoned. They are
out of print, and while they remain under
copyright, the rights holders are unknown or
cannot be found. "Critics say that without the
orphan books, no competitor will ever be able to
compile the comprehensive online library Google
aims to create, giving the company more control
than ever over the realm of digital information.
And without competition, they say, Google will be
able to charge universities and others high
prices for access to its database. The
settlement, 'takes the vast bulk of books that
are in research libraries and makes them into a
single database that is the property of Google,'
said Robert Darnton, head of the Harvard
University library system. 'Google will be a monopoly.'"
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/06/1515255&from=rss

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer