[LINK] power and saving devices -- are you sure?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Apr 12 12:16:52 AEST 2009

[looks like there are few more undiscovered costs out there]

dacut writes "We've seen compact fluorescent
lamps start to take over shelf space at the local
hardware store. Replacing a 60 watt incandescent
with a 13 watt CFL seems like a great savings,
though many consumers are disappointed with the
slow warm-up times, lower-than-advertised
lifetimes, and hassles of disposing the
mercury-containing bulbs. Now EDN reports they
may use more energy than claimed due to their
poor power factor. Mike Grather, of Lumenaire
Testing Laboratory, 'checked the power factor for
the CFLs and found they ranged from .45 to .50.
Their "real" load was about twice that implied by
their wattage.' The good news: you're only billed
for the 13 watts of real power used. The bad
news: the utilities have to generate the
equivalent of 28 watts (that is, 28 VA of
apparent power for you EEs out there) to light
that bulb. Until they fix these issues, I'll hold
on to my incandescents and carbon arc lamps, thanks."
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/08/2125250&from=rss

[and what about the water, Minister?]
miller60 writes "As data centers get larger, they
are getting thirstier as well. A large server
farm can use up to 360,000 gallons of water a day
in its cooling systems, a trend that has data
center operators looking at ways to reduce their
water use and impact on local water utilities.
Google says two of its data centers now are
"water self-sufficient." The company has built a
water treatment plant at its new facility in
Belgium, allowing the data center to rely on
water from a nearby industrial canal. Microsoft
chose San Antonio for a huge data center so it
could use the local utility's recycled water
('gray water') service for the 8 million gallons it will use each month."
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/09/2217242&from=rss

e-cars, sort of:
N!NJA writes with the mention of a recent
alternative energies rally where the Tesla
Roadster managed to cover 241 miles on a single
charge, with another 38 miles of juice still left
in the battery. "That would give the Roadster a
theoretical maximum touring range of nearly 280
miles ­ 36 miles more than Tesla itself reckons
the car will cover on a charge. If the numbers
stand up to official scrutiny, Tesla will hold
the world record for the longest distance
traveled by a production electric car on a single
charge. Of course, it should be pointed out that
the Tesla was driven by a company staffer
doubtless practiced in eking out every last mile
from a charge, and that the speeds averaged on
the run were hardly blistering ­ 90kph (56mph) on
the motorways, 60kph (37mph) on trunk roads and
30kph (19) in the mountain roads. Tesla reckon
the average speed for the entire journey was 45kph (28mph)."
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/10/2028258&from=rss

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer