[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains: triple-0 operator 'uncaring'

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:18:08 AEST 2009

2009/4/17 David Lochrin <dlochrin at d2.net.au>

> Perhaps satellite GPS distress beacons commonly carried by those working in
> remote areas should be made more available to weekend bushwalkers, since
> mobile coverage is normally non-existent.

I believe ePIRBs can be hired, and I have heard of a scheme where a local
police area was loaning them out (or charging negligible rental).
I think ideally these beacons should be available for rent from the local
NPWS office or similar, for $5 a night or a similar low rate. Even keen 4WD
enthusiasts find $600+ to own an ePIRB outright a bit steep.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs