[LINK] Lost in the Blue Mountains: triple-0 operator 'uncaring'

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri Apr 17 14:16:59 AEST 2009

On 17/04/2009, at 1:57 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Though I would guess that checking with the police or the local
> bushwalkers
> club/tourist info center etc would have provided them with useful
> information as
> to what they should carry with them and attempt - maybe even a basic
> guide to
> bushwalking as well as the ePIRB.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't help but see parallels here with 17 year old
> male drivers.

Not at all. This was a Duke of Edinburgh Scheme walk, and part of the
requirements of the scheme is to be well-prepared, and to have
undertaken other walks in anticipation of this trip. They would also
have had to notify the authorities, and leave a route plan - if they
did NOT do this (and the inquest will determine this) - then they have
not carried out explicit DofE instructions.

It was a three-day walk, which implies that they were not well-
advanced in their understanding and learning of the challenges of such
activities, but then they were most unlikely to be rank beginners.

As with all such tragic events, 20-20 hindsight tells you what should
be done to mitigate such circumstances, but I'd be very reluctant to
compare the inexperience of a young bushwalker with the inexperience
and bravado of young drivers.

I've seen many similar events both here and overseas (it was my job
and my life for many years), and as with all adventurous activities,
there is an element of risk - removing the risk entirely is
impossible. I've also seen very experienced people suffer the same
fate: and any amount of safety gear will NOT prevent tragedies from
repeating themselves.

iT