[LINK] FW: Internet leading to cultural 'black hole': Library

Paul Koerbin pkoerbin at nla.gov.au
Mon Apr 20 13:32:58 AEST 2009

 Asher's article unfortunately does little more than largely rehashing with an Australian context an article that appeared in the Guardian on 25 January. I had a long conversation with Asher and sent him some detailed comments as follow up and clarification as I wanted to convey the complexities involved in collecting web sites for preservation purposes. Sadly none of this made it into the article. I've got the Canberra Times coming over this afternoon (obviously on a lead from Asher's SMH article), so I'll see if I can do any better with the message this time.

The 'black hole' terminology was not mine (it comes from the Guardian article). But in general I would agree and suggest it is inevitable. As with any research or culture past, those in the future will have to fill in the gaps about the Internet at any particular time by interpreting what those bits that have, by intent or chance, been preserved.

Paul

Paul Koerbin | Manager Web Archiving | National Library of Australia | Canberra ACT 2600