[LINK] Enhancing the customer experience?

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Wed Apr 22 10:41:01 AEST 2009

A cautionary tale.
From:
<http://www.amazon.com/review/RV0R3AODMRNJZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RV0R3AODMRNJZ>

*BEWARE of the SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES between Kindle 1 and Kindle 2!*
March 14, 2009
By Gadget Queen
I was DELIGHTED to upgrade my Kindle 1 to K2...until I got down to using
it every day.

Having invested HEAVILY in Amazon Kindle content, I looked forward to
the new and improved version! I really wanted to love this device just
as much, if not more, than my original purchase! It was to be my "backup
insurance" and "protect my investment" in Amazon content for the device.
I expected and looked forward to everything Amazon said this device
would be.

Out of the box, and on the surface, big cosmetic changes for the better.
Once I began using it, however, my experience became more and more
frustrating.

1. I have a tremendous volume of Kindle content (public domain and
Amazon). I discovered that I could not directly transfer from my
computer backup for Kindle 1 to the new K2 (why my backup is on the
computer is addressed later in this review). All my content had to be
reformatted by Amazon and re-downloaded from their site specifically for
and to the Kindle 2 (I am NOT in a Whispernet area). Major pain. Major
time-investment. Major inconvenience. Major turn-off. Have you guys ever
heard of "bulk-download" capability, or choose many files at once for
copy to a new device??? Guess not.

2. All of my previous issues of magazines and newspapers were lost (ie,
I could not re-download them specifically for the K2) because Amazon
does not back up subscriptions on their server for more than 6 days.
SINCE I PAID FOR THE CONTENT, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THAT CONTENT
ALWAYS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD. Sorry, but I won't consider buying any
more newspapaers or magazine subscriptions to the Kindle 1 or 2. Several
(Wall Street Journal, Reader's Digest) are less expensive online (with
print edition also included) and have ALL content (not MIA content
pictures, charts, quotes, etc).

3. Several books I purchased read "Kindle 2" in the title, but were
Kindle 1 books with a new title page. OOPS!

4. Although Amazon says it keeps you content on their server, I found
many instances where I could not download my books to my computer
because the item THAT I PAID FOR was not available for download to my
new Kindle2. Amazon said the book had been "pulled." Excuse me, but I
paid for it, pulled or not, it should always be avaiable to me since I
paid for it. When I asked for a refund for the pulled item now
unavailable to me, SINCE I COULD NOT GET THE ITEM REDOWNLOADED, I was
told that a refund was not possible. LESSON LEARNED: I now back up ALL
my Kindle content on my computer. Since Amazon says "Don't worry, your
content is safe with us." I respectfully disagree. Also, some authors
issued new versions of their books for K2. However, then the original
version for K1 "disappeared" from the server so I could not even
download it to K2, nor K1. Same filename, so if I had been in a
Whispernet area, the original would have been completely overwritten
without my realizing it! Imagine, I bought a K2 Users Guide in May 2008,
before it come off the engineers drafting table, instead of in February
2009!

David Boxall                    |  Any given program,