[LINK] A Cyber-Attack on an American City

Leah Manta link at fly.to
Thu Apr 23 18:14:49 AEST 2009

At 01:01 23/04/2009, Carl Makin wrote:
>A Cyber-Attack on an American City
>
>http://perens.com/works/articles/MorganHill/
>
>Bruce Perens
>Just after midnight on Thursday, April 9, unidentified attackers
>climbed down four manholes serving the Northern California city of
>Morgan Hill and cut eight fiber cables in what appears to have been an
>organized attack on the electronic infrastructure of an American city.
>Its implications, though startling, have gone almost un-reported.

Nothing new.

A SINGLE man did this in Sydney at around 7 PM one weekday night in
the 1990s.  Gosh might have been the 1980s.

He use angle grinders, chain saws and other tools located in several
tunnels under Sydney CBD and hacked through hundreds of trunk the cables.

Severing Alarm Systems, Medical links, ATMs, obviously
telecommunications, data links, TV Fibre links.

I'm sure there might be details on the story.  Shortly after that all
man holes in the CBD and other areas were padlocked from the INSIDE
so no one could get in without a key.    Think about that for a moment :)