[LINK] Microsoft tests identity technology in schools

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Fri Apr 24 08:51:03 AEST 2009

If you're going to attack this initiative, then you're going to have to
get more focussed.  Microsoft's Information Cards are expressly all
about supporting multiple identities, and do not involve a single global
ID.  They have actually learned from the Passport mistakes.  In
particular, Microsoft now is not an 'identity provider'.

I'm guessing in the schools pilot described, that an Info Card would be
provided by the school concerned, corresponding to a set of local
privileges.  Info Cards are not automatically portable through to other
domains like university or the workforce; the expectation in the
architecture is that you will get a fresh Info Card embodying specific
claims/assertions when you join a new domain.

In particular, if one Info Card was to hold your TFN, the architecture
prevents other Info Cards from seeing it.

So, Info Cards embody many properties that privacy advocates have long
called for.  They're not perfect; for mine, they're deeply rooted in an
'on-all-the-time' mentality, and could usefully be more de-centralised.
But there's a lot of goodness there.

Cheers,

Stephen Wilson
Lockstep