[LINK] Lundy backs web 2.0 to cut costs

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 4 16:53:16 AEST 2009

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:58 +1000, "Bernard Robertson-Dunn"
<brd at iimetro.com.au> wrote:
> ... I also don't agree that "if social networking tools became part of
> normal workflow in government processes, public servants wouldn't be
> overwhelmed with their workloads."
>
> It is more likely that they would get overloaded with masses of
> messages, many of which would be low value. ...

Currently I am teaching ANU and ACS students about Green ICT. This is
via e-learning and as part of this I teach the students how to compose
succinct postings. I am starting to think this topic deserves a course
of its own. Public Servants can become overloaded when they use the
wrong online tool for communication and then use it poorly. They spend
their time sending around corrections for messages where they forgot to
attach the attachment the first time (when an attachment was not needed
anyway) and arranging meetings which would not be needed if they used
the online tools effectively.

More on this in my presentation for Senator Lundy's Government 2.0
Public Sphere. The video is on Senator Lundy's site:
<http://vimeo.com/5332400>. My notes are at:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/mgovernment/>.

--
  Tom Worthington FACS HLM
  PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia