[LINK] Green the Block, Online Subscriptions and the Ironic Cloud

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Aug 7 11:30:48 AEST 2009

> Green For All and the Hip Hop Caucus have joined together to launch a new campaign, Green The Block, to educate and mobilize communities of color to ensure a voice and stake in the clean-energy economy. This past Tuesday, August 4th, we announced the first major initiative of the campaign at a Press Conference at the White House with key Obama Administration Officials. Green the Block will kick off Green the Block Service Events on National Service Day, Sept. 11, 2009. Read More about Green the Block...
<http://greentheblock.net/>

There is an article in the July Issue of Harpers magazine, which claimed that
President Obama was using his community organiser techiques on the Senate - ie
leave them to sort out and negotiate their priorities. I had a quick look, but I
think you have to pay to read it online. Is Harpers in the News Stable?

However, this article looked interesting:
> The ironic cloud
>
> By D. Graham Burnett and Jeffrey Andrew Dolven
>
> By D. Graham Burnett and Jeff Dolven, from “Irony in the National Defense.” Last winter, Lockheed Martin Corporation approached Princeton University with a request for research initiatives. In April, Burnett, an historian of science, and Dolven, a professor of English, submitted the proposal, the cost of which they estimated to be $750,000; Princeton declined to forward it to Lockheed.
>
> Irony is a powerful and incompletely understood feature of human dynamics. A technique for dissimulation and “secret speech,” irony is considerably more complex than lying and even more dangerous. Ideally suited to mobilization ...
<http://harpers.org/archive/2009/07/0082548>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz