[LINK] Fibre gets nimble: small telcos weaving fiber web

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sun Aug 9 19:58:54 AEST 2009

Glen Turner wrote:
> On 05/08/09 14:40, Tom Koltai wrote:
>
>> If small CLEC's (American local Exchange Carrier) can aford to do a FTTH
>> rollout - then how can it be that Mr. Ergas considers the Australian
>> eceonmy can not. Is he in fact suggesting that American CLEC's are
>> better funded then the Australian Government?
>>

> The US local carrier can cherry pick the profitable locations and is
> under no obligation to serve the more costly locations.
>
> [none of which is to say I agree with Ergas's stance]

Also, a "small" CLEC in America would probably rate number 3 in Australia.

America has about 50 "major" cities containing half its population. Say
on average 3 million (average) per city: a sustainable target market in
its own right.

Another way of looking at it. Wikipedia lists 273 American cities with
more than 100,000 population (in fact, all of the cities Wikipedia
lists). We have 18.

RC