[LINK] Fibre gets nimble: small telcos weaving fiber web

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Aug 9 20:28:43 AEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Richard Chirgwin
<rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au>wrote:

> Also, a "small" CLEC in America would probably rate number 3 in Australia.

A very, very, very distant third perhaps.  The US suburb I lived in until
earlier this year had a population of around 40,000 in 15,000 households -
and had it's own CLEC, who was also had the local monopoly for cable in the
suburb.  At a guess I'd say they would have been lucky to have 5,000 phone
subscribers, probably far less.

Another way of looking at it. Wikipedia lists 273 American cities with
> more than 100,000 population (in fact, all of the cities Wikipedia
> lists). We have 18.

Apples and oranges.  The Wikipedia list for Australia lists "Sydney" as one
suburb, but lists both the US suburb I live in and the one next to it as
cities.   If Santa Clara and Sunnyvale are "Cities above 100,000" then so
are Parramatta and Penrith and many others.  Wikipedia does list these on
the same page for Australia as "Local Government Areas", but only the top
25.

Within a 50 mile radius of the centre of San Francisco I can count over a
dozen "Cities" on the US list - the same 50 mile radius in Sydney would give
1.

  Scott.